There is a really good post about why adoptive parents shouldn't simply rely on "following the lead" of their children when deciding if they should talk about adoption issues, race issues, etc.
There is a link to the anti racist parent website on my blog roll as well. I've found this site to be informative.
I hope this link works-- this is a first for me on the blog.
Reena
http://www.antiracistparent.com/2009/02/23/whos-following-whose-lead/
2 comments:
Reena, I really liked this article. It is very very true. Parents need to be able to talk to their children about adoption and children need to know their poarents are comfortable talking to them. It makes things alot easier on the child.
Now do we talk to our children about it everyday no we don't We want our children to feel comfortable with who they and to relize that adoption is only one part of their life amd how they became part of our family. We don't want them to end feeling different but we do want them to know that they can come to us anytime with any questions they may have and we do the best we can to answer them.
We try to tell them that adoption is only one peice of the puzzell and that their are so many peices that make up their life.
Thanks for posting the article.
Wendy
Reena,
Great article and thank you for sharing. The more we have to prepare us for what we will first say and how we will continue to talk to them as they get older, and how the conversations will progress and mature, as they do. Josie is so cute and I love following...I generally have enough time to read, but today I have time to comment ") Gosh...I can't believe next month is our anniversary! Take care...hugs
The Wieland's...Steph, Truitt & Harper
Post a Comment