Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fun in Chinatown

Today me and a friend braved the crowds with our two sets of two little girls and headed off to a festival in Chinatown. It was a big adventure for all of us and all the girls had a really great time!

The day started with the traditional Lion Dance featuring THREE Dragons!

Amazingly enough, we had no screaming, tears, or any signs of fears that we have seen in the past during the Lion Dance.
 Josie was quite observant during our trip-- she noticed that many of the buildings had Chinese characters on them and that many of the people were talking in Chinese. She was really happy with all of her observations.

Josie was also quite focused during many of the shows-- a drumming show and all the drummers are GURLS!!!!
 The big favorite with the gurls (most of the girls in the audience I am sure) a very lovely pink and purple dragon!
 This is the first dragon dance of this sort that I have ever seen and was really a wonderful show!


 The dances all through the crowd and then ended it with a big bang of confetti!
 The girls scrambled up front to collect some of the pretty
shiny paper to bring home.
 Just when we thought the girls were restless and ready to walk, performances by several different dance companies,
eaturing traditional Chinese dances, began.
Josie is in the pink sun hat, bottom right.
 The girls found themselves a spot side-stage-- right next to the stage and stayed put for all the dance routines!

 We headed off for lunch and had some very yummy Chinese food and then went for a walk through Boston Commons.



 The girls soon began trying out some of their tumbling and
gymnastics routine on the grass.


 What a really fun day!

5 comments:

firegirl said...

Looks like everyone had fun! We will have to try and make it next year!

Michelle

Holly said...

What a special time. :) I wish we had access to something like that. I guess I'll have to start searching farther afield. Glad you had a wonderful time together.

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

it looks like a great day, and you have a couple of gymnasts on your hands...good luck with that...it gets in to the blood!

Sally Bacchetta said...

Sounds like a great experience for everyone!!! A friend who adopted a daughter from China does absolutely nothing to connect the family with her daughter's heritage. Nothing at all, and it makes me so sad. Whenever I mention it I hear, "Yeah... we really don't have the time," and "We have a Chinese picture book, but none of us remember the little bit of Chinese we learned when we were over there." So, so sad. Your girls are very lucky!

Reena said...

Thanks Sally,

It is sad that your friend does not try to do more to connect the family to their Chinese daughter's birth culture. Chinese culture is very rich and beautiful (IMO). Not to mention there are some really fun experiences.

I don't really think my girls are lucky though-- we try to do what we can so they know a little bit about China, the customs and traditions, they have lost more of it than we could ever replace and that is very sad. I wish there was more we could do to keep them connected.

Thanks for stopping by.