A few birthdays, least of which includes Josie's and of course Thanksgiving!
The world of adoption notes November as Adoption Awareness month.
I don't think many folks realize that November is also National Literacy Month-- and that amounts to a lot of recognition in our home and at the girls' school.
I’ll be honest, we don’t read as much as we should. I used to read a couple stories to the girls every night at bedtime, but it turned into a battle of
“My turn to turn the page.”
So, I took a break from that part of the bedtime routine. I’ve been trying to read a story to them at a different time, but my goodness—time sure does seem to be in short supply!
I think I will try the bedtime story again.
I am also reading a book to Clara Rose’s class this week—she picked the book she wants me to read, "A Cold Winter Day." It is about a little hedgehog whose home is blown away in a storm and how he helps others even though he also needs help.
Most importantly, it features a very cute little hedgehog as the main character!
Clara Rose was very excited that I was coming to her class to read this book.
She got up four times during the night to remind us that I needed to bring the "little hedgehog book" to class the next day.
Soooo--- clearly I've done a bang-up job fostering her trust in me to remember something this important!
The reading went off without a hitch!
Clara Rose was very proud--announcing to all her friends that her mommy was going to
read the story today.
Too cute for words, much less my writing abilities to convey.
As part of literacy month Clara Rose's class also did a book exchange. We sent in a slightly used book and she was able to choose a slightly used book that someone else brought in.
A very exciting exchange in the world of not quite 4-years old!
Here are some fun and easy suggestions to highlight reading during the month:
Consider sharing a storytime as a family. Turn the TV off and everyone take turns reading a story or parts of a story;
Recite a play assigning everyone a part so the entire family gets to be involved;
Visit your local library;
Donate books to a library, school, or other nonprofit;
Volunteer to read a story to your child’s class or other event;
Some Links for Literacy:
http://www.famlit.org/
http://www.theliteracysite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=6
http://www.goodsitesforkids.org/literacy.htm
Learn to read with Phonics (the girls really enjoy this site):
http://www.starfall.com/


1 comment:
nice post
Dad
Post a Comment