Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hey, That's my Name on TV

Josephine

Because a 6-year old and a nearly 5-year old know how
to turn on the TV by themselves and
they know that mommy usually watches the evening news . . .

Josie: Mommy my name was on TV-- Josephine.


Me: Yes, that is your first name.

Josie: but that is not me.

Me: No, honey, thankfully not.

At this point, I know Josie has heard bits and pieces that something bad has happened and that most of the adults in her life are talking about it in hushed whispers.

I decided it might be better to let her watch a little of
the news and talk about it than to quickly usher her out of the room as had been happening the last few days here and there.

Josie: Mommy, did those little kids die.

Me: Yes, honey.

Josie: Is that the kids' Daddy?

Me: Yes, he is the Daddy to one of the little girls.

Josie: Why is he crying?

Me: He is crying because he misses his little girl.

Josie: Are they in Heaven now?

Me: Yes, honey they are in Heaven, safe with Baby Jesus.

Josie: Are they Angels?

Me: Yes, they are Angels.

Me: I love you honey-pie.

Josie: I love you too Mommy. Can I have dessert now?

Me: Yes.

We watched the Christmas cartoon, "The Littlest Angel."

As with probably everyone in the country-- our hearts ache for these families.

It is Christmas and in the wake of this atrocity, I took the girls to a Christmas cookie party that had been planned for weeks.

We move forward with Christmas celebrations-- because what else can we do but to move forward, especially for our children who don't really understand--
but the ache is here and I cannot begin to imagine the magnitude of this type of pain.

Be near me, Lord Jesus
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And take us to heaven
To live with Thee there

No comments: