Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

Chinese New Year (CNY) is the biggest, most celebrated holiday. I believe it begins with the first new moon after the calendar year (but don't quote me on it) and it lasts for 15 days. Several of the days within CNY represent different meanings and the final day is also referred to as the Lantern Festival.

The official start of CNY this year is Monday, January 26th. We began our celebrations on Saturday because it is easier to get family together on the weekend and Gabrielle and Xavier are with us this weekend as well.

It is our hope to provide Josie with some knowledge of her birth culture recognizing that what we teach her will likely be mottled, because we are not Chinese.

Family members were happy to join us for the Holiday and asked questions about how to celebrate. After much reading, we (Wim and I) have decided that CNY is much the same as big holidays we are accustomed to such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is a time to gather with loved ones-- family and friends-- enjoy good food and catch up on what all is going on with each other.

The first day of CNY is especially about family and this day is typically when family members get together and have a big feast. Whole fish, whole chicken, whole duck-- signifies luck in the new year. Long noodles bring longevity. Oranges and tangerines for a sweet and bright new year. And, of course, don't forget the pot stickers!


It is also a Chinese custom to make dishes favored or somehow linked to loved ones who have passed in honor of their memory.

Family-- this is the center of the beginning of CNY and it really got me thinking.


Pictures of our Family--- Our kids and all the first cousins
















Dear loved ones who have passed-- many much too soon.


Wim's Dad Skip holding Wim when he was just a baby himself. Wim's mom, Judy, brought cheeseburger hamburger helper in memory of Skip. Whenever she had to work at the hospital in the evening, he would make this dish to feed the kids for dinner.





Wim and his Grandfather Chase. Wim's Great Grandparents- Sherman





















Judy also brought a Lemon Meringue Pie in memory of Skip-- it was his favorite dessert and big favorite of Wim's as well. This dessert was also a big favorite of my Mom's as well. She often made several at a time in the summer months for everyone to enjoy.
Mary Orangelee Timmermier-- to become Shaw

Me and my mom when I was about 3 or 4



















My birth Great Grandparents, Daisy, was my Great Grandma's name-- I'm not sure what my Great Grandfather's name was. I really should have a picture of Daisy's sister, Lillian Thompson. She adopted my Granny and her sister and brother when Daisy and her husband died in a car accident. Great Grandma and Grandpa Thompson are the Great Grandparents I knew and loved.

Great Grandma Daisy holding my Granny.




My Granny and Grandpa "back in the day."


















Wim use to get irritated with me because I don't know more about my family history. Now I think about Josie and her birth family. I wonder about their family story-- her birth family story.
Another tradition for CNY-- everyone can celebrate their birthday on CNY. With so much emphasis on family and birthdays, I find myself wondering about Josie's birth mom and birth family. What she is thinking. I wish there was some way for her to know that the daughter she gave birth to is happy and healthy and in a family that loves her very much.
Some people think that the Chinese do not value their daughters, do not love their children. None of this is true. They are simply subjected to different laws, different cultural norms and are not given the 'right' to make choices.
Things aren't necessarily better in our country. Look at our foster care system. How many opportunities do we give birth parents to abuse their children in some way? Neglect them? Before the child is legally placed for adoption? Is that better? I also encourage people to read the book, "The Girls who Went Away." It is listed up top. I don't think things are better or worse-- different-- yes.
Sad-- yes.
I usually keep my blog posts light-hearted, so I will now switch gears. . . .
Preparing for CNY. We did much sweeping and cleaning to make way for a lucky New Year. Josie Dong Dong was happy to make some finger paint art work, while Mommy did some dusting.















On Saturday, Judy (Wim's mom), Becky (Wim's sister) and her kids Nate and Emily came over for CNY.
The little ones had big fun playing on the floor with Grandma who was pretending that her hand was a mouse running up and down all the kids giving them tickles.
















Becky and Gabrielle had some laughs watching all the little kids playing. I also think Becky was telling Gabrielle stories about how goofy Wim was for a big brother.


Josie and Emily had fun playing with Josie's fun tunes piano. Emily thought it was the funniest piano ever!














Gabrielle and Xavier sat on the couch listening to the symphony of screeching laughing from the little girls.



It wasn't long before Nate-nate got the girls together for an action packed game of toddler B-Ball. Josie Dong Dong is going to have to brush-up on her game if she wants to get by her big cousin.

















The crowds were going wild on the sidelines.
Really, don't they look absolutely WILD?!!!

After all the fun and games we enjoyed homemade pot stickers and Chicken lo Mien that I prepared and the Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper Judy brought in memory of Skip.
The kids played some more. Josie handed out red envelopes filled with lucky money to her cousins and then we had dessert.
It was a nice afternoon and we look forward to many more years of CNY celebrations with our family.
Today, Sunday, Josie was anxiously waiting to go out for a snack party with some of her friends.
I'll try to get some photos posted later this week.

"Happy Chinese New Year!"

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Reena,

Looks like you had a fun family celebrations. I love your decorations and I think its neat how you remembered your loved ones.

I also love Josie's pigtails!

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your celebration.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

We all had a great time celebrating Chinese New Year. What a wonderful tradition to look forward to. Thanks Josie and her parents!
love Becky, Nate, and Emily