Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Day at the Zoo and Thanks to Senator Reed

Hi Everyone,


We went to the zoo yesterday. It was a very interesting and nice trip. The animals at the GZ Zoo are much livelier than I have seen at any zoo. After walking around for awhile, I realized why. People feed the animals here. There are signs all over the place telling you not to, but it doesn't appear to be heavily enforced. The elephant even did poses for some bananas that one guy was tossing to him.


They also have an area where you can go in and feed the monkeys.


Josie Dong Dong enjoyed the trip and noticed some of the bigger animals if they were moving around. I don't think she quite new what to think about them. We had some pelicans that swam up to within petting distance of us. That was a little scary.







Josie Dong Dong with a swan balloon that guy gave her and then told me I owed him 1 Yuan. I gave him a five and he only gave me 3 back. I told him he owed me more and he gave me another dollar that is actually worth 1/2 of 1 Yuan. I figured that it really wasn't worth it for about 10 cents US.





Josie Dong Dong Watching the bears One was swimming and splashing around





















Josie looking at the albino peacocks.













Josie watching the elephant pose for some food.









Pelicans-- I was too scared to move away to get the picture. There isn't much of a railing here-- or in many parts of the zoo.









It was a hot and sticky day yesterday. We finished up with some noodles and then a nice bath before sleepy-bye time.


Today there isn't a whole lot going on. Just more strolling around the island-- which was very nice when we first arrived. Now I am really getting tired of it. A new batch of families arrived on Saturday and the sales folks are out in full force. I'm really done with the haggling.

The best news today is that our guide handed in all of our paperwork to the US Consulate and all our paperwork was cleared. For those who did not know, there was a problem with the US Consulate saying they didn't have everything that was needed from us before we left for China. I had documents showing that they did have what was needed. It was an ordeal to say the least.

Two days before we left for China I called the local office of Senator Reed and corresponded with his Aid. The Senator's office sent three emails on our behalf to get this matter cleared-up-- One to each of the Congressional Offices at the US Consulate here in China and one to the National Office for the National Visa Center in Washington DC. I tried and tried with people and I am sure that it was this action that finally got everything cleared-up.
I want you all to know that Senator Reed has acted on our behalf more than once during our two year wait to adopt Josie, and this last issue was quite vital. He is the only government official in Rhode Island who has ever responded to our family when we have needed help.

Enough for my politicising.

This will be my last blog entry from China. Tomorrow is our last day in China and my internet time has expired twice. I only bought a days worth for today-- so no more internet after 9:00 am Tuesday, which is 9:00 pm EST Monday night.

People who have said that the internet expense at the White Swan was cheap either didn't stay here for close to 3-weeks, the rates have increased, or they make a heck of a lot more money than we do. It was nice having the ability to stay in touch from the comfort of our room. The little Empress is napping now.

The swearing in ceremony is Tuesday at 3:00 pm. This is when we swear in our Children as American Citizens. As soon as we clear customs in San Francisco, Josie Dong Dong will officially become a citizen of the United States.

We are looking forward to being home-- not necessarily the actual flight part-- but definitely to being home.

Love,

Reena and Josie Dong Dong.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reena!
I saw the pictures at the zoo. Josie Dong Dong seemed really interested in the bears. Ironically, I had seen a picture of an albino peacock the day before I saw the blog. Isn't that weird? I wish Roger Williams zoo wasn't so strict about the animals. I always wanted to pet a penguin. I have to go to school now. Bye!

Gabrielle

Anonymous said...

Hi Reena

I am sad that this is the last day of blogging but I am so excited that you will be home soon! I can't wait to hear about the trip. enjoy your last couple of days in Chiona and have an easy and safe trip home.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

See that - my kid knows what irony is and junk.

Wim

Anonymous said...

I will miss your blog too, but what's next is primo! Suffice it to say that this flight overthemoontohome with Josie Dong Dong is one that will be memorable.Your family and friends await you...have a safe, smooth trip back to us . A great big WELCOME to our new, little citizen of the U.S.A.
Love, Judy/Grandma

Princess Leah said...

You have some fantastic pictures for Josie's life book! Despite some mishaps, you've gained a lot of good memories. We wish you a safe trip home.

Unknown said...

Reena!

You're on the last leg! The Swearing-In Ceremony is rather emotional...too bad you can't cameras into the consulate. I'm glad you've had a great experience in China and I look forward to seeing you and Josie once you are home! Angeline will love to meet Josie, too! Take care and have a safe trip home!

Kathi

Anonymous said...

I will miss the blog too but will look forward to meeting Josie at one our future ACONE R.I. ( adoptive families) chapter events. Have a great trip home!!! Welcome to the US Josie!!!

Wendy