Wim left very early this morning. He was very happy yesterday when he found out he would be traveling with the other group from our agency whose baby’s were not in Guangdong (GD). He will be home late Thursday evening.
Yesterday we went to Foshan National City. Our guide explained that this a ve
ry affluent area
in GD. My work buddy Joe will be interested to hear that it is like a great big golf resort. Picturesque lakes, walking paths, condos and villas, woods, meticulous landscaping.They even have employees who salute you as you drive into the area.

On the drive to this area,
we were able to see some of the countryside, which is very beautiful.
The agricultural land looks like several little gardens of different foods being grown. Farmers here once had either to pay a tax on their food—cash or in what they had grown. Now farmers do not make as much money so the government no longer charges the tax.After going to the city we visited a local village and walked around. There is a waterway that goes through it and we saw people doing their laundry in the water. It is also used for travel. The walkways are like alleyways and are "paved" with big slabs of what looks like granite. It was a real job pushing the stroller around especially in the rain. Here are some random shots of the Village.


Travel boats.
Pedestrian Bridge
I offered Wim 100 Yuan to walk across this bridge, but he still wouldn't do it.

Reena pushing Josie
Dong Dong along
the Village passages.
Corn Mazes in New England have NOTHING on China's village walkways.
It is the rainy season here and it has rained for about 4 days straight-- not really heave, but steady drizzle to moderate rain. I wish I had brought the rain guard for a stroller. I've been wrapping one of our raincoats over here in the stroller and if rains really heavy balancing an umbrella over the stroller as well. I haven't got any lip from the Chinese lady police. They give me the thumbs up and then harass someone else in our group.
We did Josie's physical exam today. It wasn't much. The weighed her-- a whopping 25.6 lbs! I didn't catch her length. The ears, nose and throat DR. got an earful from her. She took one look at him and screamed. Made it easy to check her throat. Then we had to strip half way down so they could get a look at her. She wasn't too happy with any of it, but settled down quickly once it was over.
The baby clothes here are kind of a pain. There is lots of cute stuff for little girls—mostly DRESSES. Even the tops with panties-- the tops are longish, dresslike. Josie trips on them when crawling. I’ve been buying the more "flouncy" dresses because I’ve found that it is easier to pull the flouncy skirt part back and tie so she can crawl than the other dresses that aren’t so flouncy. There aren’t many practical clothes for girls.
People also keep selling me stuff that barely fits her or doesn't really fit her-- it is too small. Some of the shops won't bargain very much. I've walked out of a few. They try to get me to come back and I tell them NO in Mandarin. Others don't care. I think maybe they are feeling the pinch because referrals have slowed so much.
Josie is/was napping -- no tour today because we had the medical check-up. It is one of the baby's 1st birthday today so there is a group dinner to celebrate. We will probably go out and buy a little present for her after naptime.
I will also try to post to the blog today. It is nice here, but it will nice to come home. I cannot believe we have almost a full week left to go! At least I have the little ham bone to keep me entertained. Below are some of my favorite hambone shots from the past two days.
Reena and Josie Dong Dong
Josie razzing Daddy on the Bus




1 comment:
LOVE the sharing cherios with mommy picture! Yeah, it looks like the Chinese village paths are not at all stroller-friendly :-) it did make me think of the maze we visited together. Now you KNOW :-) At least you did not seem to get LOST with Josie Dong Dong in the village...like we did in the maze. That was pretty funny! What about Monster Trucks?? Can't wait for you two to get back in the States so we can have play dates! Love you.
Andrada
Post a Comment