Saturday, April 26, 2008

Nap time, Funny Siblings, and Long Bedfellows,

Hi Everyone,

We are still trying to figure out Miss Josie's nap schedule and work on her learning to trust Daddy. This week was a little rough for all of us. Josie has not really been napping since Tuesday. She will nap for a total of about 75 minutes-- and not all in one nap. Some days she is very cranky because she has not slept enough, which as all mom's know-- can be VERY trying. Other days, it does not seem to effect her at all as she remains her perky little self despite not having had a real nap.

We continue to work on her relationship with Wim. Sometimes it is great and sometimes she gets fussy with him (that is putting it mildly). He has put her to bed twice this week. The first time she cried and cried and cried. She woke about an hour later and practically leaped out of her crib into my arms and then fell fast asleep. The second night she cried, but not as long. On both of these nights, she did not have a good nap during the day and then at night, she would not fall asleep for me after trying to put her to sleep for an hour! It was definitely daddy's turn as I needed a little break.

Last night Wim slept in her room with her (I sleep in her room during the week). She woke during the night and cried and cried with him. Wim would get her to go back to sleep but she would wake after only a few minutes and the cycle would repeat. After repeating this cycle for a couple of hours, Wim woke me and I got her to settle down and back to sleep.

Aside from my sanity, we really want Josie to realize that she has two parents and to feel comfortable with both of us and to feel secure here in her new home. She does well with Wim-- playing, bathing (mostly), diaper changes-- but she generally prefers me to be in the same room so she can see me and will typically cry if I leave the room and try to follow me.

Wim and I have decided to start keeping a journal of her daily events to see if we can find some common factors that might be effecting her napping and sleep patterns. We are also going to start having Wim play with and feed Josie for short intervals of time without me being in the room. We are hoping that as she learns that I go away but always come back in a little while, we can start to lengthen the time I am away and she will not get upset by my absence.

Not to have everyone thinking that all is going bonkers in our home. Josie is still mostly a very happy, fun loving little girl who gives lots of kisses and hugs. She is a very sweet and affectionate baby. She loves to play, be chased (crawling), and she LOVES getting the tickle bug. Oh how she laughs and laughs and giggles!



Josie loves to watch us blow bubbles and had a great time with Gabrielle and Xavier blowing bubbles for her. Granted, I would have preferred they did this outside and not in the kitchen, but Josie has certainly thrown more messy things on the floor than was made by a few soapy bubbles. Not to mention that while she was doing this she didn't realize that Mommy was not only NOT in the room, but actually outside in the yard playing with Phoebe!


Josie gets such a laugh out of having a big brother and sister! Xavier had us all in stitches a couple nights ago when he decided to wear one of Wim's sweatshirts. Doesn't he look funny? He put his legs through the arms and was walking around the living-room. Josie didn't quite know what to think about it.


Josie also enjoys waking-up with her favorite bed-time buddy, a Giraffe. We are not sure what it is about her giraffes (she has two -- Mommy and baby) but she definitely prefers them to all her other stuffed animals.
Her typical ritual upon waking is to kiss and hug her giraffes and then give them to you to kiss and hug. Then she kisses and hugs them again. Sometimes she will crawl around in her crib and kiss and hug her other stuffed animals, but she ALWAYS starts and finishes with her giraffes.
Lately, she wants to stay in her crib for a few minutes (with you in the room) while she kisses and hugs her giraffes before she puts her arms up for a kiss and hug from Mommy or Daddy. Notice that she still reaches for the camera.
It is very cute-- but I am extremely biased.
Love,
Reena

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reena,
We're also having "Love Daddy, too" issues. Part of the problem is that Clay is so laid-back about it. He just says, "She'll love me when she's ready" and reads the newspaper. Well, mom had enough of that last night and ordered him onto the floor. Let me tell you, it was a BIG success, especially when he put the light-up rubber ducky on this head. Caroline LOVED that one. I am also leaving him alone with her again tomorrow because I have a meeting for my new job. It's always gone really well so long as I just disappear and don't make a production of leaving. I hate to admit it, but she adjusts just fine to being alone with daddy once I'm out of the picture. Hope things improve with napping. I think I hear Caroline now - up too early from her nap! xo, Jena

Anonymous said...

Dear Reena & all you Chase-Faces,
I'm still glued to your blog and reports throughout the family are that I'm not the only one!
Nai nai LOVES that Josie smooches and hugs her mommy-daughter giraffes so much and I can't wait to be retired and have the time to see grandbabies...big and little...more often. Reena you are a fully initiated member of the mommy club...welcome! It's impossible to know how much of Josie's nap issues are because of her long and winding road and how much is good ole toddler-hood. Whichever, it'll settle itself and she is clearly settling in with her lovely family.
I love you, one and all. Judy, Mom, Grandma
ps Tell Josie that Nai nai loves her!xoxoxoxo