I have to say, getting up and going with two toddlers is somewhat exhausting-- then their is breakfast and we don't even have to cook it-- yet! Oh BOY! After eating, we all headed to Ancient Culture Street. Once there, we realized there was a little bit of a language misunderstanding with our guide yesterday. We had talked about going and that we could dress the girls in the snow suits I brought. Our guide told us the stores were all inside. We asked if she meant like a Mall and she said yes. Guess what? We didn't dress the girls in snow suits and yes the stores are inside-- sort of, but by Western standards it is an outside shopping mall-- somewhat similar to Garden City for our Rhody homebodies. While I tried to have a quick look at some art work, Wim was attacked by three Chinese grandmas for not taking proper care of the babies etc. It was too cold for how they (an we) were dressed. We grabbed a taxi back to the hotel. Taxis are pretty cheap so not a big deal and kind of a funny story for Clara Rose and Josie later on. Clara Rose and Josie didn't seem much in the mood for another car ride back to the market-- plus we would need to re-bundle them. Wim and I decided that I would go back solo and check it out. I quickly threw on some thermals, grabbed my big coat, ear warmers, and big mittens-- all the Yuan we have on hand, and headed back. What a great time I had. Lots of stores with all kinds of interesting crafts, different snacks of fried dough with brown sugar-- and by fried I don't mean funnel cakes or dough boys-- I'm talking crispy fried, crunches hard when you bite into it. Pretty tasty too. Shop owners were very nice and not pushy. I had a really fun time out exploring all on my own! |
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Ancient Culture Street
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's great that you are so adventuresome! I am a chicken and didn't go anywhere alone. lol I can definitely relate to the getting 2 toddles ready to go anywhere...it is a major chore! lol Thanks for the updates...keep them coming!
Hugs,
Sheri
What a fun shopping trip! It beats our malls by a long shot I bet. Good for you, Mommy!
Post a Comment