Thursday, January 21, 2010

Forging New Pathways

We are starting to get over the jet lag and into some semblance of a routine. Clara Rose has indicated to us that she is a big tea (chai that is) drinker. We made sure to get some decaf tea and here are the girls having their morning cup. Josie has since decided that she doesn't like tea.



One of our good friends, Grace and her Mommy Michelle came over on Tuesday for some playtime. Grace and Josie go way back and Grace is the same age as Clara Rose. It was fun to watch an old friendship be reconfirmed and a new friendship formed.

The three girls did a real job on the play tent! One of the tent poles is bent big time, which I have discovered is a big gripe about this product with many parents. I'll have to figure something out for it.


Here are the three girls acting sill for some pictures.  As I type this Clara Rose is pointing to Grae and signing for more. I think that means she wants more play times with Grace.

Not to worry, there is plenty of that in your future!


Honestly, I think Josie is having a more difficult time adjusting than is Clara Rose. Josie goes from talking about how much she loves Clara Rose and fussing about her to whacking her over the head and ripping toys out of her hand. We are using positive reinforcment with Josie when she behaves well and at Wim's suggestion, we are using a method from bullies-2-buddies when Josie is mean to Clara Rose. Basically, you watch the girls to make sure there isn't serious bloodshed, but let them duke it out. Then you comfort whoever is hurt (loses the toy, is hit etc.) and ignore the child who caused. This definitely requires some stomach as it is quite hard to sit back and watch one child be mean to the other, but we are seeing some results. Josie wants attention and she only gets it when she behaves well-- not when she behaves meanly.

Here are some pictures of her behaving well-- shortly after behaving badly and watching Clara Rose be comforted.






Other new pathways-- Well, I need a few through my home as this seems to be the new baseline for my living room being clean!  Gsbrielle and Xavier were fencing with some nerf sword I bought for the girls, the girls are playing on the sit-n-spin, and I have NO IDEA how Wim manages to sleep through it all!


What an action shot! I'm glad these are nerf swords!

Happy faces!


Ah, the slumber brought on by jet lag!


Gabrielle is not one to miss an opportunity to talk with her Dad about the kind of car she wants in a few years when she turns 16.


This very well may be my last post. Wim may kill me.


Yesterday I packed the girls up and we headed to a nearby playground. It was a bit cold out, but not too bad and they do have snow suits, although Josie said she was too hot to wear all of hers.  The entire day turned out to be quite the event-- one I wasn't too sure was going to turn out well.

Clara Rose freaked when I packed us up to go out (no small feat the first time around!). I think it took me close to an hour to get everyone appropriately dressed, warm the milk, pack some snacks, extra clothes etc. All with her screaming-- I was ready to pull out my hair!


She quickly passed out in the van. Oh GREAT! I drove to the park that was closer than the one I had planned to go to thinking that Clara Rose would be a total freak show when I woke her up.

She was fine when I woke her up and was happy to see the playground!

She likes the bouncing toys. We played on those, the swings and the slide. Clara Rose freaked when I packed us up to go out (no small feat the first time around!). I think it took me close to an hour to get everyone appropriately dressed, warm the milk, pack some snacks, extra clothes etc. All with her screaming-- I was ready to pull out my hair!


She quickly passed out in the van. Oh GREAT! I drove to the park in West Warwick thinking it was closer and she would be a total freak show when I woke her up.

She was fine when I woke her up and was happy to see the playground!

She likes the bouncing toys. We played on those, the swings and the slide. The slides were wet and the girls really zipped down quickly in their snowsuits. They both loved it and were laughing and scrambling to go down the slide over and over again. They were both offering each other their hand to help up and down the stairs. It was really nice to watch them! Clara Rose also reached for me many times to help her.






The slides were wet and the girls really zipped down quickly in their snowsuits. They both loved it and were laughing and scrambling to go down the slide over and over again. They were both offering each other their hand to help up and down the stairs. It was really nice to watch them! Clara Rose also reached for me many times to help her.



Clara Rose and Josie also offered each other their hands to help each other on the playground, which was sweet to watch.








We went to taco bell and came home to eat. Clara Rose likes beef meximelts-- she wasn't sure how to eat it and gestured for me to feed her, which I did of course (Josie wanted me to feed her as well).

At nap time both girls had to go tinkle after I put them in their cribs.

Both wanted their ponies out.

I kissed Josie--

Clara Rose sat up and reached out her arms-- I went over and she stood and gave me a big hug with a big smile on her little face.

I told Josie I love you and Wai Ai Nie to Clara Rose-- she smiled big and blew me a kiss.


After I closed the door, I could hear the girls jumping in their cribs and peals of laughter. They finally settled down for their naps about 30-minutes later.

3 comments:

firegirl said...

Hello Reena

I am so impressed with your blogging so soon after being home and with two. We had so much fun visiting with you guys this week. We have to get together again very soon! I am also impressed that you took both girls out alone. Poor Clara Rose she must think that everything things get packed up she is goint o live somewhere new! She is doing so well! She will see this is permanent and feel comfortable soon : )

What a busy house you have now! I love the pics of Wim Sleeping with the panda blanket (you have to make him his own manly blanket!)
Michelle

Sheri_n_Ben said...

Such a terrific update! Love the fun pics of everyone! You gotta love the bouncing babies! My quite little Leilah now enjoys jumping in bed just like her little sister Olivia! Olivia LOVES to jump in the bed...just like little monkeys. I just hope no one falls out and bumps their head! lol
Glad to see things are settling in for you and your sweet family.
Hugs,
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Reena, I have loved,loved,loved these blogs. They are absolutly wonderful!!!!! It was so wonderful that you were able to take out both girls so soon. That is excellent and from I learned from the past it was better for all of us that we started moving around ( going places, etc) sooner. It certainly is alot more busier and I remember those days well. I remember the saying that my friends used to tell me. "That you don't know how easy it was with one until you have two" and especcially 2 that are so close in age. It it almost like twins!!! They were right. Thanks for sharing your stories/pictures with us all. I truly enjoy them.
Wendy