Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fond Farewell

We are down to our last few hours here in Guangzhou. Our bags are mostly packed. I sorta went over board in buying suitcases. One of ours broke on the way here and we needed another one so we got two HUGE cases for about $15 each. We have plenty of room now—plenty for me to do some more shopping. You should have seen the look on Wim's face when I said that!

 

:-D

 

Yesterday was our swearing-in at the US Consulate. Wim is funny—he missed a lot of this when we adopted Josie because he returned home after 2 weeks of our 3 week trip. I told him it wasn't "All that" in terms of formality- they check your passport against the paperwork—for many families not just those in our travel group. After all families are checked we take an oath that all the information we have provided to the US government about our adoption is accurate to the best of knowledge and ability.

 

The pictures are from two nights ago. We went out for a big group dinner at a local Chinese restraint. Ms Cordeila was with us and we made out MUCH better with the food *YUM* factor than when we went out on our own.

 

I'm not sure if we mentioned it or not, Clara Rose knows how to use chopsticks—Josie can't stand it, and actually started trying to use hers and didn't too bad considering. We are going to start using chopsticks more regularly at home.

 

So, this is it. My last post from China. We are ready to head home and be home and see everyone. Wim is aching to see Gabrielle and Xavier. The truth be told, I miss them as well. I think Josie even misses Phoebe trying to eat her stuff.

 

I also feel sad to leave. I felt this way when I brought Josie home. China is so rich with culture, history—the people here are very kind at least that is my experience. It is sad to go and take these little girls away from so much that should know and have ingrained in their lives. While we do what we can to keep them connected to their birth heritage, it is very limited because our knowledge and ability to do this is amongst the hustle and bustle of everyday life restricts us.  All we can do is our best and hope that someday in the years to come we will be able to return to China when Josie and Clara Rose are a bit older so they can experience their birth country with their own eyes.

 

Next post—State-side!

 

5 comments:

Sheri_n_Ben said...

Have safe travels home! I can't wait to see Clara Rose in her new home with her Forever Family. Thanks for the updates and the terrific pics!

Hugs,
Sheri

Angela Griffin said...

I am so happy and excited for you! Your daughters are beautiful. We just submitted our LSC and are awaiting travel approval for our almost 4-year-old daughter with microtia of the left ear. Can't wait to read more posts when you get back!

Keith and Kelly said...

Praying for a safe and quick flight home for you all. I know you'll have your hands full. Praying too that you'll get rest once home. So happy for you! Blessings, Kelly (faith fam)

Becky said...

I know I haven't posted much since you first arrived in China but I have been checking in every evening. The blog posts have been fantastic and put a smile on my face every night. I will be holding my breath just a little until I hear you all are home safely. Thank you for sharing your journey! We love you and can't wait to have you home :)
love,
Becky Bob Nate & Emily

Jena said...

Have loved following your trip and can't wait to read more and to meet Clara! Love, Jena, Clay, Caroline and Adrian PS: Hope we can see you all in New York or CT this summer....